Math 1113: Precalculus (Fall 2020)
The course begins Thursday, August 20th.
- You can find the syllabus here .
- If you have any questions or otherwise need assistance, please email me at email@example.com.
- There is a class calendar on the syllabus,
- You can also refer to this calendar of due dates which closely parallels our course.
- Tuesdays: Attend one of the following two shorter sessions
- 8:00-8:35 AM
- 8:40-9:15 AM
- Thursdays: One single Zoom session, 8:00-9:15 AM (with groupwork).
- Free tutoring services are available through the DAE: https://dae.uga.edu/services/tutoring/.
- There are extra resources and study guides here: https://www.math.uga.edu/studyhall
- Quiz 1
- Quiz 1: Review Notes
- Quiz 2
- Quiz 2: Review Notes
- Quiz 3
- Quiz 3: Review Notes
- Quiz 4
- Quiz 4: Review Notes
- Quiz 5
- Quiz 5: Review Notes
Note: Quiz 6 skipped.
- Quiz 7
- Quiz 8
- Thursday October 15th: Notes
- Project 2
- Tuesday October 20th: Notes
- Overview Video, Part 1: Youtube Link
- Thursday October 22nd: Notes
- Overview Video, Part 2: Youtube Link
- Quiz 9
- Quiz 10
- Quiz 11
- Thursday November 5th: Notes
- Quiz 12
Quiz 14 (Sections 5.1, 5.2)
Week by Week Agenda
Week 1 (Monday August 17th)
See email for Zoom meeting links. Bookmark or add to your calendar.
Gradescope: sign up and submit Quiz 0 (Due Friday Aug. 21st).
- Complete Section 1.1: (Due Sunday Aug. 23rd)
- See videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw3ad1wlhTMGcL5kgita6QGS or “Pre-Class Videos” in ELC. You can fill out optional pre-class notes to follow along.
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.1”.
- Finish and submit “Worksheet 1.1”.
- Start Section 1.3: (Due Tuesday Aug. 25th)
- See videos here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_FNSZ6vVY&list=PLYHZK3b8UFw1_K7VRAlYGdUZOaqjJTOZ, can fill out optional pre-class notes to follow along.
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.3”, due before class Tuesday.
- Start on “Worksheet 1.3”, due Tuesday night.
- Set up ALEKS accounts and complete Readiness/Assessment test (see email for 2-week temporary access code).
- Complete Initial Knowledge Check and Readiness Test (Due Wednesday Aug 26th)
- Complete Basic Skills Test (Due Friday Aug. 28th)
Week 2 (Monday August 24th)
If you’re attending in-person, sign up for one of the two sessions before class.
- See videos here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw1_K7VRAlYGdUZOaqjJTOZ or “Pre-Class Videos” in ELC.
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.3” due before class Tuesday.
- Finish and submit “Worksheet 1.3” due Tuesday night.
- ALEKS Initial Knowledge Check due (and possibly Readiness Module).
- Drop date.
- Section 1.4
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw0jGzT4r6nABTLh3CI6eVst
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.4” due before class Thursday.
- Submit “Worksheet 1.4” by the end of the day.
- ALEKS Basic Skills Test #1: available 5:00 am until 11:59 pm, 8 questions.
- Quiz 1: Sections 1.1 through 1.3, due 11:59 PM.
Week 3 (Monday August 31st)
Note: from this week on, I’ll leave it up to you to keep track of ALEKS due dates! Don’t forget that there are Basic Skills Tests approximately every Friday.
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw0ZgjxBc6v6QlaHhSZheL-B
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.5” due before class Tuesday.
- Submit “Worksheet 1.5” by the end of the day Tuesday.
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw3srUWdN3pnV1WRNsEcqx-T
- Finish and submit “PreClass 1.6a” due before class Thursday.
- Submit “Worksheet 1.6a” by the end of the day Thursday.
- Quiz 2: Sections 1.3 through 1.5 (Domains and Ranges), due by 11:59 PM.
- ALEKS: Basic Skills Test.
Week 4 (Monday September 7th)
- See ELC for explanation/outline, we’ll talk about this in class.
Section 1.6b (Graph Transformations)
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw3PC3qUoQPSdpFhzCqjRG8m
- Finish and submit PreClass 1.6b before class.
- Submit Worksheet 1.6b by end of day.
Section 1.7 (Piecewise Functions)
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw0MGYUVN9Z4aYof_QgbFw7f
- Finish and submit PreClass 1.7 before class.
- Submit Worksheet 1.7 by end of day.
Quiz 3: 1.5 through 1.6b (Linear Models)
Week 5 (Monday September 14th)
Project 1: Meeting Timeline. Due at end of day.
Section 1.8 (Combining Functions)
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw2GleEiLibLzFIsnrHdy43_
- Finish and submit PreClass 1.8 before class.
- Submit Worksheet 1.8 by end of day.
Section 2.1A (Vertices and Symmetry)
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw1r2QdO6Pgj4jg4-OBM6h1I
- Finish and submit PreClass 2.1A before class.
- Submit Worksheet 2.1A by end of day.
Quiz 4: 1.6b through 1.8 (Graph transformations, piecewise functions)
Week 6 (Monday September 21st)
Section 2.1B (Maximization and Word Problems)
- Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYHZK3b8UFw3qJR_5u0E1b2wuXCeuCBIX
- Finish and submit PreClass 2.1B before class.
- Submit Worksheet 2.1B by end of day.
No Preclass for Thursday
Quiz 5: 2.1A, 2.1B. Function composition, parabolas, roots.
Week 7 (Monday September 28th)
Project 1 Due.
Problem-Solving in Groups
- Be sure to register on Congregate
- Worksheet: Problem Solving Worksheet
- Worksheets 3.1 and 3.2 due by end of week.
- Preclass 3.1 and 3.2.
Quiz 6: Review up to 2.1B. Extrema, roots, vertex form, difference quotients.
Week 8 (Monday October 5th)
Quiz 7: TBA